A profile of the Van Halen frontman.
Friday, April 12
Life in Green Bank, West Virginia, a town without cell signals and a haven people with electromagnetic hypersensitivity (a disease that may or may not exist).
A new release of our iPad app is available in the App Store, and it includes a slew of great new magazines to follow: Gizmodo, Grist, McSweeney's, Men's Journal, Narratively, New Statesman, Polygon, Rookie, The Smart Set and the Times Literary Supplement.
Longform for iPad delivers picks from our editors, plus new articles from more than 80 of the world's best magazines, in an elegant, reader-friendly design. It's perfect for commutes, flights, and Sunday afternoons.
A profile of Kehinde Wiley, a painter who inserts the “brown faces” that have historically been relegated to the background in Western art.
Thursday, April 11
Charles Pierce’s classic GQ profile of Tiger Woods, annotated.
An investigation into a scholarly hoax.
Wednesday, April 10
Patrick Symmes is a foreign correspondent and contributor to Outside and Harper's.
"They rolled us up like a cheap carpet. We were locked in a room for 14 hours. And for the first six hours that was okay. Everything was nice; there was coffee. But then the nightshift came on. You could hear gunshots in the street, and these guys were scared. And they were thugs. And they were thugs with a mission: to get rid of every foreigner who might witness what was happening."
Thanks to TinyLetter for sponsoring this week's episode!
Show notes and links:
- Symmes's Outside archive
- Symmes's Harper's archive
- [2:30] Chasing Che: A Motorcycle Journey in Search of the Guevara Legend (2000)
- [7:00] The Boys from Dolores: Fidel Castro's Schoolmates from Revolution to Exile (2008)
- [21:45] "Taking the Measure of Castro, Ounce by Ounce" (Harper's • Jan 1996) (subscription required)
- [22:00] "Ten Thousand Revolutions" (Harper's • June 1997) (subscription required)
- [23:00] "The Generals in Their Labyrinth" (Outside • July 2008)
- [24:30] "Miraculous Fishing" (Harper's • Dec 2000) (subscription required)
- [35:00] "Sand Storm" (Outside • May 2011)
- [39:00] "The
BeautifulGame" (Outside • Oct 2012)
- [42:00] Among the Thugs (Bill Buford • 1993)
- [49:30] "A Wild Country Grows in South Sudan" (Outside • May 2013)