Rolf Potts is a veteran travel writer.
"Instead of seeking out the stories, the stories sort of found me. I miss those days. I mean, I make more money from my writing now and I'm probably a better journalist. But having seven-day weeks to wander, month after month, for two years, was a great way to find real and spontaneous and human travel stories."
Thanks to TinyLetter for sponsoring this week's episode!
Show notes and links:
- [2:00] Murder of football player in Kansas shakes town (Sports Illustrated • Feb 2013)
- [15:00] Salon travel column (1999-2000)
- [16:30] "Storming the Beach" (Salon • Jan 1999)
- [19:30] "Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel" (2002)
- [21:00] "My Beirut Hostage Crisis" (Salon • June 2000)
- [25:00] Wikipedia: Flaneur
- [35:30] 'No Baggage' web series