Adventures in acedia, from Aquinas to Bartleby.
“How much money do you make? And do you shave your pubic hair?”
Wednesday, December 11
A dispatch from Camden, “America’s most desperate town.”
New York’s Pastor Parker and his growing string of Liberty Churches, each of which will “adopt the culture of its neighborhood.”
"I think a good editor has a strong stomach for crazy assholes. Because often crazy assholes are really brilliant great writers."
- Leland's archive at the Oakland Standard
- Leland's blog, "Good Jobbbbbbbbb"
- [4:00] "Web Dreams" (Josh Quittner • Wired • Nov 1996)
- [5:15] 826 Valencia
- [5:45] A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (David Eggers • 2001)
- [6:45] "E Unibus Pluram: Television and U.S. Fiction" (The Review of Contemporary Fiction • Jun 1993)
- [15:30] Interview with Laura Owens (Rachel Kushner • The Believer • May 2003)
- [17:45] "Rejoice! Believe! Be Strong and Read Hard!" (Heidi Julavits • The Believer • Mar 2003)
- [48:00] Wholphin archive
- [50:00] Please Vote for Me (Netflix)
- [56:00] Joe Frank Show
Fast-food workers, the minimum wage, and a future served by robot labor.
Tuesday, December 10
A battle against an invasive breed of ants has begun in Texas. It also might be over already.
Life on the other side of the laptop.