Episode 25: Susan Orlean, staff writer at The New Yorker.
"There's always the fear, which comes with having done it for a long time, that you're repeating yourself. That's actually a genuine concern — you worry that you're becoming an imitiation of yourself... The funny thing is that you spend the first half of your career wanting desperately to have a voice that's distinctive and recognizable, then you go to the other side of that and think oh my god, all my stories sound the same."
Show notes and links:
- Interview Transcript
- Orlean's archive on Longform
- The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup: My Encounters with Extraordinary People (Amazon)
- "Orchid Fever" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Meet the Shaggs" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Life's Swell" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Thinking in the Rain" (New Yorker • 2008)
- "I Want This Apartment" (New Yorker • 1999)
- Rin Tin Tin (Published 2012)
- Animalish (Kindle Single)