Susan Orlean is a staff writer at The New Yorker.
"There's always the fear, which comes with having done it for a long time, that you're repeating yourself. That's actually a genuine concern—you worry that you're becoming an imitiation of yourself ... The funny thing is that you spend the first half of your career wanting desperately to have a voice that's distinctive and recognizable, then you go to the other side of that and think oh my god, all my stories sound the same."
Thanks to TinyLetter and Digg for sponsoring this week's episode!
- Orlean on Longform
- Interview Transcript
- The Bullfighter Checks Her Makeup: My Encounters with Extraordinary People (Amazon)
- "Orchid Fever" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Meet the Shaggs" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Life's Swell" (New Yorker • 1995)
- "Thinking in the Rain" (New Yorker • 2008)
- "I Want This Apartment" (New Yorker • 1999)
- Rin Tin Tin (Published 2012)
- Animalish (Kindle Single) </ol>