Would you like to work on a top reading app? Are you excited by the prospect of building products for a growing community of passionate readers?
Longform is looking for a senior Rails developer to lead work on the backend that powers our flagship iOS app which launched last month with an Apple feature, 70k downloads in the first week, and coverage in New York Magazine and Fast Company. Millions of people per month rely on Longform for their reading.
In addition to two Rails apps, our stack includes:
- Grape for serving APIs
- Resque for background queues
- Cloudinary + pHash for image processing
- Diffbot + node.js for custom parsing
- Chef for systems administration
The job is full-time, though we’re flexible. Diverse candidates, including those not from a CS-background, are highly encouraged. Meaningful pre-seed equity is available for the right candidate. We’d prefer someone in New York who could work out of our spacious office in DUMBO, but will consider remote candidates as well (our company runs on Slack, not email). If we work well together, we’ll be needing to fill a CTO position down the line.
- Writing/refactoring test-driven Rails code
- Building out new CMS features with modern web technologies
- Scaling large data sets (we have over 200,000 articles in our system and are adding thousands more every week)
- Building on our API to power a web client and more
- Working directly with our iOS lead, a founding member of the New York Times mobile team, and our sysadmin, a former tech lead at the award-winning Washington City Paper
- Helping with strategy around product, design, and business
Email email@example.com with your resume, github username, and links to any projects in which you’ve played a leading role. In addition, please send us a brief description of yourself explaining how and why you got into programming, and one article on any topic that is important to you.