Mac McClelland has written for Mother Jones, The New York Times Magazine, Matter and others. Her book Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story came out this week.
“I would just suddenly start sobbing, which is not something I usually do. I felt like I needed to be drunk all the time, which is also not something I usually do. I was having nightmares and I was having flashbacks. I was terrified and confused and disoriented all the time. I was a completely different person, completely unrecognizable even to myself.”
Thanks to TinyLetter and Alarm Grid for sponsoring this week's episode. If you would like to support the show, please leave a review on iTunes.
- McClelland on Longform
- [1:00] Longform Podcast #6: Mac McClelland
- [1:00] Irritable Hearts: A PTSD Love Story (Flatiron Books • 2015)
- [6:00] "Aftershocks: Welcome to Haiti's Reconstruction Hell" (Mother Jones • Jan 2011)
- [6:00] "Depression, Abuse, Suicide: Fishermen's Wives Face Post-Spill Trauma" (Mother Jones • Jun 2010)
- [11:00] "I Was a Warehouse Wage Slave" (Mother Jones • Mar 2012)
- [11:00] "For Us Surrender Is Out of the Question" (Mother Jones • Mar 2010)
- [16:00] "I’m Gonna Need You to Fight Me On This: How Violent Sex Helped Ease My PTSD" (GOOD • Jun 2011)
- [16:00] "Is PTSD Contagious?" (Mother Jones • Jan/Feb 2013)
- [32:00] "'It's War': Being a cop in post-Charlie Hebdo France" (Medium • Feb 2015)
- [43:00] "SugarDaddy.com: Old Dogs, New Tricks" (Mother Jones • Jan 2008)