Matthew Shaer is a freelance writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, New York, GQ, and The Atavist Magazine.
“I could not turn off the freelance switch in my head. I could not not be thinking about these different types of stories. My Google Alert list looks like a serial killer's.”
Thanks to MailChimp, Squarespace, Howl, and MasterClass for sponsoring this week's episode.
- Shaer on Longform
- [12:00] "A Shtetl Divided" (Harper's • Jan 2011) [sub req'd]
- [15:00] Among Righteous Men: A Tale of Vigilantes and Vindication in Hasidic Crown Heights (Wiley & Sons • 2011)
- [18:00] "A Monster Among the 'From'" (New York • Dec 2011)
- [24:00] "The Orthodox Hit Squad" (GQ • Sept 2014)
- [27:00] "Whatsoever Things Are True" (Atavist • Sept 2015)
- [46:00] "How Thailand's Most Notorious Prison Became a Fight Club" (Men's Journal• Apr 2014)
- [47:00] "Freedom Fighters" (Hemispheres• Nov 2013)