Michael Lewis is the author of several bestselling books and the host of the new podcast Against the Rules.
“I think anything you do, if it’s going to be any good, there’s got to be some risk involved. I think the reader or the listener will sense that you were taking chances and it will excite them. So, you never want to do the same thing twice, and you don’t want to cling to something because it’s the safe thing. I try to keep that in mind. Ok, I started with this, but if I push off shore clinging to this life raft or this floatation device and I get way out of swimming range of the beach, but I find this more interesting flotation device, have the nerve to jump from one to the next. You never know where it’s going to lead.”
Thanks to MailChimp, Going Through It, Green Chef, and Pitt Writers for sponsoring this week's episode.
- Lewis's author site
- Lewis on Longform
- [1:40] Against the Rules with Michael Lewis
- [4:55] The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game (W. W. Norton & Company • 2007
- [9:50] The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine (W. W. Norton & Company • 2011)
- [11:10] The Fifth Risk (W. W. Norton & Company • 2018)
- [11:40] Revisionist History
- [13:15] Moneyball: The Art of Winning an Unfair Game (W. W. Norton & Company • 2004)
- [14:35] The Undoing Project: A Friendship That Changed Our Minds (W. W. Norton & Company • 2016)
- [14:50] Home Game: An Accidental Guide to Fatherhood (W. W. Norton & Company • 2010)
- [27:10] How I Got Into College (This American Life • 2013)
- [30:00] Ref, You Suck! (Against the Rules • 2019)