George Saunders has written for The New Yorker and GQ. His latest collection of short stories is Tenth of December.
“Maybe you would understand your artistry to be: put me anywhere. I'll find human beings, I'll find human interest, I'll find literature. And I guess you could argue the weirder, or maybe the less explored the place, the better.”
Thanks to TinyLetter and Audible for sponsoring this week's episode. For a free audiobook of your choice, go to audiblepodcast.com/longform.
- Saunders on Longform
- [5:00] Tenth of December (Random House • 2013)
- [8:45] "George Saunders Has Written the Best Book You'll Read This Year" (Joel Lovell • New York Times Magazine • Jan 2013)
- [22:45] CivilWarLand in Bad Decline (Random House • 1996)
- [29:30] "The Great Divider" (GQ • Dec 2006)
- [30:45] "The New Mecca" (GQ • Nov 2005)
- [33:00] "The Incredible Buddha Boy" (GQ • Jun 2006)
- [38:45] George Saunders's Advice to Graduates (May 2013)
- [47:00] "Tent City, U.S.A." (GQ • Sep 2009)