Andy Ward, a former editor at Esquire and GQ, is the editorial director of nonfiction at Random House.
"How you gain that trust is a hard thing to quantify. The way I try do it is by caring. If you don't care about every word and every sentence in the piece, writers pick up on that. ... Ultimately, it's their book or their magazine article. Their name is on it, not mine. I always try to keep that in mind."
Thanks to this week's sponsors: TinyLetter and EA SPORTS FIFA 14.
- Andy Ward Picks His Favorite Articles
- [31:00] "The Perfect Fire" (Sean Flynn • Esquire • Jul 2000)
- [33:00] "He Came from Outer Space" (Chris Jones • Esquire • Oct 2002)
- [40:45] Jim Nelson's Memo to GQ staffers when Ward left
- [42:30] "The Book of Me" (Richard Powers • GQ • Oct 2008)